FT 3: Town Basin Tour
The very popular Hatea Loop walk, more commonly known as The Loop, is 4.2km long on a very easy flat wide concrete pathway which circles the Town Basin. The Loop is fully wheelchair accessible.
There are many features along the way, including:
- The Town Basin centre itself with loads of galleries, restaurants and cafes
- Loads of opportunities for Street Photography
- Claphams Clock Museum.
- The newly opened Hundertwasser Arts Centre which has a lovely café upstairs as well
- The Canopy Bridge on the north end of the loop
- The striking shapes of the Te Matau ā Pohe Bascule Bridge at the south end of the loop
- The Town Basin Marina with loads of overseas yachties moored up.
- The newly opened Camera Obscura, which should be fascinating for camera buffs. Camera Obscura (Latin for "dark room") is an optical device that led to photography and the photographic camera. The Camera Obscura device consists of a box or room with a hole in one side. Light from an external scene passes through the hole and strikes a surface inside, where it is reproduced, inverted (thus upside-down), but with colour and perspective preserved.